From time to time in a domain scenario you may come across the following error message on client computers:
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.
This is because the computer’s password stored in Active Directory, and the computer’s password it thinks it has are different. This usually happens as a result of a system restore, file corruption or a directory restore on the server.
- Go to the affected workstation and login as a local administrator
- In the run box, or start menu type ‘sysdm.cpl’ and press enter
- The system properties box opens – click ‘change’
- Remove and rejoin the computer to the domain by joining a workgroup, rebooting and rejoining the domain again
- If you have a multi-part domain name ie something.somethingelse.com, simply delete the .somethingelse.com part and click OK – the computer will rejoin the domain
You can also try the following PowerShell commands on the client as Administrator:
Reset-ComputerMachinePassword -Server domaincontroller -Credential adminusername